Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Paris / Versailles

Kevin took me to Paris for a week.
Isn't he the best?

We have some fabulous friends from law school who are in the Foreign Service and are just completing their tour in Paris.  Kelly and Chris were our besties in Williamsburg; we loved hanging out to the wee hours eating Kelly's cupcake creations, lots of yummy cobbler (Always make good friends with people who are good cooks! It may be bad for the waistline, but people who enjoy food are always warm and lovely people!) and playing with their adorable kids! I was very baby hungry at the time and playing with their little guys got me through it! We couldn't have asked for better friends! 

We knew we just HAD to go visit them and the City of Lights before they left this summer!

Studying some French before taking off!
I took French in High School and then again at BYU, but I would be qualified as barely conversant! I do NOT have a talent for languages (unlike Kevin!) but my little scrap of knowledge got us through the week!

After we landed, took an overpriced taxi to the Crawfords, showered, and downed some 5 Hour Energy (worked great for getting us through the day after not sleeping on our red eye flight!) we were off to Versailles!

Our jet lag plan? Stay awake, get outside, and see something amazing!
Versailles was definitely AMAZING!

I am not going to lie - I was super nervous about our trip! I mean, PARIS? You just hear so much about how the women are gorgeous and dress like models everywhere, the people are rude, and how so many of the sites are overrated and touristy.

Versailles was not overrated at all!
In fact, I would like to debunk all of the above claims!
But I will get to that later...back to Versailles!






The famous Hall of Mirrors...crowded but worth it!


I love fat, naked babies! I mean, look at those cute baby bums! Is that creepy? Whatever!



Versailles was so much like Peterhof in Saint Petersburg.  In fact, Peterhof is sometimes called the Russian Versailles, so it was fun to see the infamous original!

Versailles
June 2014

Peterhof
Summer 2006
 
Versailles had Peterhof beat in terms of the actual palace, but Peterhof's fountains are truly unsurpassed!

The palace grounds are huge, so we rented bikes to explore!
I felt so ridiculously Parisian! I couldn't help but giggle as we rode around!



I can't think of a better way to beat the jet lag and spend the first day of our trip!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I just read through all your posts, and wow! Such an amazing trip! And your Parisian outfits were perfect. ;) Glad you had a wonderful time!