I wanted to really maximize the time we spent in the city and spent a ton of time researching where to go, what to do, what tickets to buy ahead of time, and how to get everywhere but like any best laid plans, they went awry! Thankfully, we had lots of back up plans to fill our time!
Our first successful stop of the day was to Notre Dame Cathedral
(St. Chapelle Cathedral and The Conciergerie were both closed)
I can't even describe how overwhelming it was to see it!
I literally started crying as we walked inside...
There was a choir performing and the light came through the stained glass and it was just so beautiful!
I guess that is the Humanities Major coming out of me!
I just kept thinking of the people that visit her and have visited her over the centuries and the collective emotional catharsis we all experience. What have people prayed about in her walls? What struggles have they brought to her doors? The amazing sense of history just washed over me and I felt such a connection to her and her purpose.
I just love gothic architecture - the flying buttresses, ribbed vaults, and the arches are so interesting. Your eye never lacks for something new and sometimes hidden to discover!
I just love the ribbed vaults with the blue and the stars!
Beautiful...looking at this picture I keep pinching myself that I got to go there!
Kelly had recommended a cute cupcake shop a few blocks from Notre Dame, but there was a camera crew there and the shop was closed! I guess they were filming a commercial? Oh well! At least I could take a picture of the ADORABLE cafe next door!
There were so many amazing buildings - this is the Hotel de Ville (City Hall).
Standing on the "Lock Bridge" with Ile de Cite and Pont Neuf (the oldest bridge in Paris) behind me.
Our next plan was to walk to Musee de l'Orangerie to see the famous water lily paintings by Monet, be in and out in an hour (its a small museum) and then be off to the Arc de Triumph in time for lunch.
Holy Cow! We waited forever to get in to see those stinking Monets! By the time we finally made it in, I was too annoyed to really enjoy them. Don't get me wrong, we expected lines and crowds, but I have a hard time dealing with inefficiency so rampant that I am forced to conclude that the excessive delays are truly caused by thinly veiled, palpable indifference that borders on flagrant disdain for the eager patrons
(Can you tell that Kevin helped me write that? I couldn't quite quantify my feelings!)
Poor Kevin was dragged to so many museums! He was sweet and didn't complain at all, except to protest the inclusion of Matisse and what he calls "refrigerator art" in ANY museum.
He has me there...I don't love Matisse either.
So off to a delicious cafe near the Arc de Triumph where I had the most amazing croque monsieur (ham and cheese sandwich with delicious cheese broiled on top) - I had several on the trip and the first was by far the best!
The Arc de Triumph was closed as well (again, not posted online! Arg!) but we could still take lots of pictures!
I loved seeing the Eiffel Tower peak out around town!
One of the most interesting things we saw in the city was Pere Lachaise.
This intriguing cemetery is full of creepy above ground crypts in various states of disrepair covered in moss, spider webs, and dying flowers.
Several of the crypts looked like they had either been broken in to or someone was trying to get out...
Several famous people are buried here, including Jim Morrison.
Then we were off to the Eiffel Tower!
There's the Arc!
Despite some hiccups, this was such a magical day! I mean really, how can a day not be perfect if you get to stand on top of the Eiffel Tower at the end of it?
No comments:
Post a Comment