Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

San Antonio part 1


The Salt Lick

If you are a long time follower of our blog, you know that Kevin and I are amateur foodies...we love going out to cool restaurants, finding local dives, and cooking together. You also know that Kevin and I will go to great and somewhat embarrassing lengths to procure yummy food.

Well, when we first moved to Dallas over a year ago, we saw this BBQ place featured on the Food Network called the Salt Lick and we knew at that moment that our life would never be complete if we did not go eat there. Fortunately, this BBQ heaven is just outside of Austin, making this an attainable goal. So, for over a year we have been planning on driving down and eating there (about 3.5 hour drive) but it just hadn't happened.

Yes, you guessed it - I can now die a happy woman because last weekend we did it! Kevin got some time off work last minute so we planned a quick little trip to San Antonio via The Salt Lick. We left home Friday morning in time to have lunch at the best BBQ place EVER, ate, drove the rest of the way to San Antonio, checked in to our hotel, wandered down to the Riverwalk, spent the next day at Sea World, and then drove home on Sunday in time to eat lunch at the Salt Lick again. Yes, it was that good that we wanted to make sure that we ate there twice!

There are now 3 locations of this awesome restaurant - the original location in Driftwood, TX (20 miles outside Austin in the sticks!), Round Rock, TX, and at the airport
We went, of course, to the original location in the boonies!

What makes their BBQ so tasty is the open, real wood fire pit they use to cook the meat right inside the restaurant. Yum!


I couldn't resist taking a picture of this...seriously, do you have a square to spare? (Seinfeld, anyone?) They REALLY don't want to run out of toilet paper!

3 comments:

Dani said...

I think I need a longer toilet paper roll holder.

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

I have missed your food write-ups :) It seems like there haven't been as many lately.
Love the toilet paper pic!

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh our friends in Austin RAVE about that place. I am more than a little jealous. I think that needs to be on the list of things we do when we come visit next christmas! You look FANTASTIC by the by! Miss you guys!