Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, October 16, 2008

New York!

"Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms." - Tom Hanks, You've Got Mail

When Kevin and I first considered spending Fall Break in New York, all I could think of was the above lines from You've Got Mail. Isn't that such a great movie? Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have been to New York in the fall and I echo Tom Hanks' sentiments exactly! Kevin and I had a fabulous time and the weather could not have been more perfect! Bright blue skies, changing leaves, and a cool breeze that made it chilly enough to wear a sweater but warm enough to forego a jacket...simply perfect!

Kevin and I flew up Thursday evening, grabbed a taxi, and headed straight to our hotel - the Renaissance Times Square New York. For my job, I book a LOT of travel and have thankfully made some friends in the industry and was able to use the Marriott Friends and Family discount rate for our trip making the room almost affordable!

I couldn't resist taking a picture!
After freshening up a bit, Kevin and I wandered around until we found a good place to eat and stumbled upon a really fun place called Ellen's Stardust Diner. This is not the place to go for a quiet dinner as the wait staff sing (loudly, I might add) fun show tunes and other classics while you eat. This would ONLY work in a city like New York where you have a large pool of incredibly talented singers just waiting to be discovered.
Side note - the restaurant is located on Broadway and during one number, some of the restaurant patrons had the chance to sing along and after the song was finished the performing server said, "Now you can go home and tell your friends you sang on Broadway".....how sad!
We had a great view!


more to come!

No comments: