Family Picture

Family Picture

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Apple Picking in Charlottesville

On Saturday Kevin and I woke up and decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Charlottesville to go apple picking and to see the city. We had the best time! The two hour drive was gorgeous with all of the rolling hills and changing colors of the foliage...Virginia is simply breathtaking in the fall!

We had heard from lots of our friends that the best place to go apple picking was at Carter Mountain Orchard and I think they are right! Set atop a mountain (duh...), the farm offers lots of different types of apples from Jonagold to Red Delicious and everything in between.

The amazing view overlooking the city of Charlottesville

Kevin and I decided to go with some Fuji and some Macintoshes

Kevin had to do most of the picking because I couldn't reach the apples...thank heavens for tall husbands!

I got to hold the bag...

I think that the best part of our trip was drinking the most amazing apple cider ever and eating hot and fresh apple cider donuts....the donuts alone were worth the trip!

Overlooking the vineyards...

After Kevin and I had our fill of donuts and cider we drove down the mountain to check out Charlottesville and decided that we liked it very much...especially our street!
Excuse the horrible lighting on this picture but I had to post this shot of Kevin standing in front of a Robert E. Lee statue. For some reason, Kevin's younger brother Brian (currently serving his mission in the Philippines) has this unexplained deep hatred of Robert E. Lee and we always make fun of him for it. I mean, the guy has been dead for sometime now and sure, he led the Confederates in the Civil War, but really, who hates Robert E. Lee? I just think it is all very funny!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hah! I will never know why Bri-guy hates Robert E. Lee so much. So funny! It looks like you guys had such a wonderful little trip. Only a couple months til Christmas! Can't wait!

Artis said...

Time to catch up on the blogs tonight. Always love to read yours and hear the sweet things you have to say about Kevin. (Although I think he is insane to drive to Richmond for Panda.... made me think of the summer Kevin was here and Brian with bring home boxes of Orange Chix when they closed for only $1.00)
The trip to NY looks so fun! I'm glad you got to go and enjoy so many fun things about that city. The fall apple picking sounds great, too. You've really taken advantage of what VA has to offer. That's super!

Will said...

Don't you guys just love Charlottesville? It's one of the most beautiful places ever made.