Family Picture

Family Picture

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Goal Achieved!

Some of you may have noticed either from the pictures posted on this blog or from seeing Kevin around that he has lost a bunch of weight. 60 pounds...yeah, that's a whole person (a small person I might concede, but a person nonetheless). If you read Kevin's confessions a few posts ago, you learned that we have been dieting since January and have tried, somewhat successfully, to kill our "inner fat guy," as it were - but dieting alone does not bring weight loss.


I hereby introduce to you the half marathon diet! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, weight loss can be yours by simply running disgustingly long distances several times a week in order to train for a half marathon! Well, that's what Kevin has been doing since February to get ready for the Dismal Swamp Stomp Half Marathon in Chesapeake and yesterday was race day (cue "Eye of the Tiger" music). After weeks of training, Kevin competed in his very first half marathon and he is happy and proud to report that he jogged the entire 13.1 miles! I couldn't have have been more proud :)

In order to adequately celebrate this tremendous achievement, I have documented his entire experience this weekend with copious amounts of pictures - enjoy!

Kevin was so nervous that we would miss the race if we tried to drive down in the morning that we got a hotel room just a few minutes from the race.
Here is Kevin holding up his bib the night before the race.
A champion has to eat like a champion! Champions eat delicious hamburgers at Red Robin!
On our way to the race...Kevin was really nervous!
Frantically pacing around waiting for the race to start
Lucky number 335!

Getting into "the zone"
The herd starts to move!


It begins...

Can you still spot Kevin?

This is the guy who won the race - yeah, if you do the math, that's under a 5 minute mile for 13.1 miles. That's insane! It was amazing to watch him finish! Kenyan's sure know how to run!

This was the first woman to cross the finish line - she was also from Kenya.
This was the first white guy to finish...good for him :)

Here comes Kevin!

Running towards the finish line
Go, Kevin, Go!
After Kevin finished, he got a little light headed, but all he needed was some water!
Give the poor man some water!
Much better :)
Back at the hotel and after a nice long shower, Kevin looked triumphant (and skinny, I might add) wearing his medal.
I am so proud of you Kevin! A special thanks to Kelly Crawford for dragging her two boys down through horrible traffic to be there to support Kevin - you're the best, Kelly!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Go Kevin! That's really amazing. The mere thought of running 13.1 miles makes me want to take a nap, but I think it's awesome that other people are able to do it!

Unknown said...

Yay Kevin!! Awesome achievements always call for big & juicy Red Robin burgers.

Will said...

Way to go Kevin!

Karen said...

YAY KEVIN! I'm all about working up to 5 miles. Can't wait to train with you guys in just a couple of weeks!

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

I am so impressed! Way to go! And you can really tell you've lost weight :)