Kevin and I graduated from BYU in April 2006...3 months later Kevin started law school and I started working. I work in an office where the most intellectual conversation I have ever had consisted of discussing the previous night's Office episode and comparing it to our own office existence (ps I love The Office)...probably the second most intelligent conversation was discussing the proper way to make tea (my boss is a big tea drinker!)...you get the picture! My job is simply not intellectually stimulating - and how can it be? I am an executive assistant...all I need to know is how to unjam the copier and teach my boss how to attach a document to an email!
In college, I always felt intellectually stimulated...I learned new things everyday, worked hard, read constantly and it made me feel good about myself. I was not wasting the brain that God gave me...until I graduated and all learning stopped. I blame myself - I let it happen, but I have vowed to get back on the right track and to continue what should be everyone's goal - to be a lifelong learner. I want to keep sharp, expand my vocabulary, and to always be finishing a book.
To jump start my return to academia and to my humanities/history major roots, I have decided to read/reread the complete works of Jane Austen. Kevin was kind enough to buy me a compilation of her 6 novels for Easter (thanks babe!) and while I have read Pride and Prejudice and Emma before, I am reading and studying all of her works in order as she wrote them, starting with Sense and Sensibility.
I am almost through reading about the Miss Dashwoods in Sense and Sensibility, and I plan on updating everyone on my conquest of all 6 novels. I have never been a fast reader, so please don't hold your breath for me to finish!
Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment