My mother sews beautifully.
She sewed my winter formal dress, my prom dress, and countless costumes for Halloween, plays, and show groups. She made all of Colin and Reagan's bedding and has only drawn the line to say she wouldn't sew my wedding dress.
It isn't that she couldn't (she made hers) but that she didn't want to...with all the other wedding planning and partying going on, she didn't want to throw in making my dress too.
Is is a generation thing that our mothers can sew but we cannot?**
I spend a fair amount of time on Pinterest while I am nursing Reagan and there are countless tutorials and free patterns out there for the novice and the seasoned seamstress alike.
I have pinned so many, I thought it was high time I actually started sewing.
So I am teaching myself step by step, tutorial by tutorial, and you tube video by youtube video.
Please don't laugh :) I am quite proud of myself!
| My little willing model |
| Work it, Reagan!! |
So far I have made myself two knit skirts, two knit skirts for Reagan, and two onesie dresses for Reagan. I have fabric for a maxi skirt for myself and a charmeuse circle skirt that I want to do while Kevin is out.
It isn't quite a prom dress, but hopefully one day that will be a possibility (with Nana's supervision, I am sure!)
**I am sure my mom would have been happy to teach me to sew had I been interested as a kid and if I had had the patience with her to teach me! I remember making pajama paints in Beehives at Church and having to take them home to finish. My mom helped me, but I was so frustrated with not "getting it" that I was too turned off by the whole thing to continue.
Insert whiney, teenage voice : "It's too hard!! I don't get it. This is lame! Why do I need to learn how to sew?"
Yeah, I can see why she didn't want to teach me after that:)
1 comment:
I'm completely impressed. I've been wanting to try a maxi skirt myself. I may have to follow your lead and make my own :)
Post a Comment