My adorable niece, Kate, turned 4 last month and Karen was nice enough to let us make her birthday cake. She was throwing a princess themed party and I was super excited about making a Princess and the Frog Tiana cake for her.
We bought the Wilton "Classic Wonder Mold" for the dress and put an extra 9in round underneath it to give it the necessary height for the barbie (usually you would use a fake doll pick but we wanted to use the actual Barbie and make it part of the gift...with those long legs Barbie's dress needs to be longer!).
Then we wrapped her legs up in saran wrap to protect them from the cake and frosting and stuck her in.
Next, we frosted her dress with a crumb layer (Wilton's recipe for buttercream icing with a little extra milk) to seal in the crumbs and make for easier decorative frosting later. She then went in the fridge to let the frosting harden a bit.
Next, we frosted the skirt in a pale green (I tried to make the frosting look like the folds in her skirt) and stuck her in the fridge again. (Don't judge my frosting abilities too harshly! I am ridiculously proud of how the cake turned out!)
For the skirt overlay, I used a large leaf tip in a darker green
I think Kate really liked her cake and her new Tiana Barbie!
5 comments:
That cake is sooo cute! I love it! I will probably steal the idea sometime.
Leslie, you (and Kevin) are amazing! And check out the baby's eyes in thenext-to-last-photo; he is absolutely staring down the cake. Hilarious.
The cake turned out fabulously! I love the idea of doing a "crumb frosting" layer and then do the decorative icing layer later. Ingenious! It's so hard to avoid crumbs if you do it the other way.
I love this! I didn't ever realize how important it is to use "Wilton" things for very specific cake decorating until I attempted my childrens' birthday cakes. Cake decorating is hard work and definitely a talent. Way to go, Leslie! So excited you are having a boy! I guess that will make the Grady clan have 2 grandsons and 2 granddaughters.
Way to go! You should be proud of this--it turned out REALLY good! I'm impressed! I bet it tasted good, too :)
Post a Comment